Few composers paint human emotion as vividly or with greater insight, wit and poignancy than Barbara Strozzi – the pioneering Venetian composer, born 400 years ago, whose songs and madrigals stand alongside Monteverdi’s as some of the greatest of the age.
Argentine soprano Mariana Flores and period-instrument ensemble Cappella Mediterranea celebrate Strozzi’s anniversary with a selection of love songs by the composer and her contemporaries, including the arresting ‘Lagrime mie’ and the touching ‘Che si puo fare’.
There will be no interval
- Barbara Strozzi L'amante segreto(8 mins)
- Antonia Bembo Ercole amante – 'Mingannasti in verità'(3 mins
- Barbara Strozzi Che si può fare(10 mins)
- Antonia Bembo Ercole amante – 'Volgete altrove il guardo'(4 mins)
- Barbara Strozzi Sino alla morte(12 mins)
- Francesco Cavalli Ercole amante – 'E vuol dunque Ciprigna'(3 mins)
- Barbara Strozzi Lagrime mie(9 mins)